Blog 6: Friday 2nd April 2010















I have been taking photos of my local area, Williamstown. The image with the car was by far the most artistically satisfying. I really like the effect of the afternoon sun, it's like it has been artificially light to look like a poster image. In the second image I have increased the contrast and put a warm filter on the lighter colours. The effect is a tropical, oldfashioned, magizine like image.

I have been taking a lot of photos lately, but I really don’t know what my camera settings are about. I have been struggling with the light in my photos, so I have sourced some help. I have borrowed a book called Digital Photography Quick Steps by Doug Sahlin to help me with my camera. The following is what I have learnt so far.

My camera is a new Canon digital IXUS 80IS 8.0 mega pixels.
I have now set my camera’s image size a quality to super fine and a large 8m 3264x2448. This is so my images have a high-resolution and pick up on subtle colour variations.
Focusing for my camera is achieved by pressing the shutter button halfway.

I have also learnt about the mattering mode tool which determines the exposure of the scene.
• Evaluative: for even lighting. Scene metered from multiple metering zones – good for back lit subjects.
• Centre-weighted average: when the background in brighter than the subject, so the scene is metered from a small area in the middle.
• Spot: when the subject is in the centre of the scene where it is metered and then averaged for the entire scene.



Blog 5: Friday 26th March 2010

ISO is the film speed. If you use an ISO setting higher than 400 then the image may have digital noise in the form of coloured specks. You can use a noise filter to dampen the noise.
• Low-speed film is used in bright light
• High-speed film is used in dim light


The first photo shoot I did of the power station I was working with very low light so I had a high ISO about 8oo. But this caused the images to have digital noise and I wasn't happy with the result. I decided to return to the sceen with a bean-bag to stableise the camera whilst I worked in a lower ISO of 80 because I was having trouble with blurring. The result was much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment