Blog 1: Friday 5th of March 2010

I want to start my blog by looking at a range of famous photographs. I want to see which ones I like and ask the question “why do I like them?”


I have found out there are four main questions to ask when looking at a photograph:
• What is here?
• What is it about?
• Is it good?
• Is it art?


I plan to use these four questions when I look at the photographs I choose to write about on this blog. I also plan to write down what I have learnt from class and from my own research.
I have been looking at as many books as possible to get an idea of which photographs appeal to me. I have borrowed the most amazingly heavy book called The Photography Book, 1998, by Ian Jeffrey. I have spent many afternoons sitting in my lounge room, discussing the photographs with my Mum and Dad. It’s great getting someone else’s perspective on the photographs and we have had a lovely time talking together. I believe this is what art photography is about, sparking conversation, thoughts, feelings, memories and imagination.

I have also been watching a T.V. show on Sunday nights on the ABC called "Genius of Photography." Stuart, my lecturer showed one of the episodes in class. I have attached a couple of images from Henri Cartier-Bresson because I love the romance of his images. Bresson was an expert at "capturing the moment" in a pure aesthetic way. I admire his ability to perfectly balance shape and form to create an aesthetic composition. His photographs have dynamic movement within them which makes the everyday scene seem more dramatic.


Derriere la Gare St. Lazare, France, 1932, Henri Cartier-Bresson

















Hyères, France, 1932, Henri Cartier-Bresson












No comments:

Post a Comment